Monday, December 21, 2015

It's been a while

My apologies, I have not had the chance to blog in quite a while.

A lot has changed since my last post.
I'm still with the same employer but the technologies we now use have changed.

iBeacons - this has been one of my more popular posts and I apologize for the lack of followup on this but since my last post my energies have been more focused on other technologies in Line Of Business application development. I only started looking into iBeacons to see if they could be used in an industrial environment. Unfortunately the accuracy of the readings was not suitable for my purpose, so that project has been discontinued.
I still think this is a great technology and has many uses, it's just not right for my project.

Microsoft Visual Studio LightSwitch - I only use LightSwitch for enhancements and maintenance of existing applications now.
This may change in the future but for now I will no longer be developing any new applications with LightSwitch due to several reasons:

  1. Google is in the process of removing support for the NPAPI plugin in Chrome. This started in April of this year and complete support according to Google will be removed by the end of this year for Chrome.
     https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/TYbj21PkcAQ/vf0VGOfqFagJ
  2. Silverlight is being discontinued - This is nothing new, everything has an expiration date. Yes it will continue to be supported for several more years but knowing it's on the chopping block and the fact that Silverlight will no longer work in Chrome by the end of 2015, it was an obvious choice for me to look at other technologies like AngularJS and TypeScript.
  3. If you view any of the forums about LightSwitch there is a growing concern that LightSwitch is no longer a priority for Microsoft. (Honestly, this opinion was at the bottom of my list on deciding to no longer develop with LightSwitch but it was at the back of my mind)
    But none the less given that my responsibilities have changed, most of my apps will need to integrate with several platforms now, I've been trying to come up to speed on AngularJS, TypeScript, .NET, SharePoint, the Office-Add-in Model and Office365.

Angular2 is now in Beta, this is completely different from Angular 1, so here again something else to learn. You can read more about this on https://angular.io/ 

I hope to get back to blogging in the near future.

Thank you
Keith Craigo











.NetCore 2.0, AzureAD and OpenIdConnect

.NetCore 2.0, AzureAD and OpenIdConnect If you develop with .NetCore you probably already know that there are some significant changes fr...